Photographica 90 is just 48 hours away. This is the 50th Anniversary Year for PHSNE and for the Photographica Show and Sale. Both began in 1973 … and here we are, 50 years later. What would those 1973 PHSNE members think of today’s cameras, lenses, processes, tools … and photographs? Here at PHSNE, we are still discovering Photo History Today.
Meanwhile, here are a set of items you should consider if you’re attending Photographica 90 on Saturday. Let’s review the basics.
SCHEDULE & DETAILS
- Where: Newton North High School (NNHS), 457 Walnut St. Newton
- When: Saturday, April 22, 2023
- 7:00AM — Early Birds pay $20 entry fee
- 9:00AM — General Admission is $5; students, photography teachers, active military, PHSNE members (all with ID) enter FREE.
- 11:00AM — Dollar Tables open; every item is $1. Like a rock concert, all the fans want to get close to the tables. You’ll find something. Good luck!
- 1:00PM — Free cake and ice cream & PHSNE Auction previews open; get your Bid Card early.
- 4:00PM — PHSNE Auction previews & Dealer Tables are closed.
- 4:30PM — PHSNE Auction begins (90+ lots) and ends when all lots are sold.
- Venue: The NNHS main entrance faces Walnut Street; there is a U-shaped driveway that leads from Walnut Street to the main entrance. When you enter the building, turn right and walk a few yards, then turn left to the cafeteria entrance. There will be tables for badges, handouts, and other items. Pay at entry and hang on to your ticket; it will let you come and go as you please. The cafeteria is a two-story open space with atrium-like natural light and full-height windows across back. It will be filled with dozens and dozens of tables for dealers, Dollar Tables, auction previews, and other displays. It will be busy for most of the day; please be patient. NNHS is full accessible; no stairs.
- Amenities: Free coffee for as long as it lasts; vending machines for drinks and snacks; restrooms. There are no storage or hanging spaces available for attendees; keep your belongings (including purchases) with you at all times.
- Parking: Free parking in the high school’s lot; get there early, it’s likely to fill up. The nearest (metered) lot is 28 Austin St. (ground level only) across from the Star Market. Be sure to pay up.
- Transit: Commuter rail service (Worcester Line) stops at Newtonville (flag stop). Bus Route 59 and Route 553 run on Saturday. Check the FAQ for specifics, and be sure to use the MBTA Commuter Rail and Bos Route information services on your mobile device.
- Dining: There is a local dining PDF handout HERE for dining options on Walnut and Washington streets. You may want to download and print the PDF or upload it and upload it to your device of choice for reference. Distances are ~10-20 minute walk each way.
- Auction Rules: Read the auction handouts BEFORE you start bidding; pay attention to what happens after you win an item. The PHSNE Auction is exciting and fun, especially when auctioneer extraordinaire Marti Jones wields the gavel. High and low humor, along with high and low bidding, go together. Enjoy the show!
TIPS & TRICKS FOR PHOTOGRAPHICA ATTENDEES
Reminder #1: You will be standing or walking most of the day. Wear comfy shoes.
Reminder #2: Stay hydrated. Photographica can be crowded and warm. Bring a water bottle in case the cafeteria vending machines run out.
Reminder #3: With all the digital payment systems around, who needs cash? Dealers. Dealers like cash. Cash may be the least expensive way to haggle your way to getting that WhoopieFlex you’ve been dreaming of. Get cash before you come to Photographica. The ATMs are not nearby. Yes, there are dealers who are using WiFi or 5g card reader devices, but not all. You’ll be glad you did.
Reminder #4: Carrying things around at Photographica can be a problem if you don’t have the right shoulder bag, backpack, roller bag or suitcase to bring the goodies home. Cardboard boxes and plastic garbage bags may be available, but you are asking for trouble in all sorts of ways, especially if you are shopping alone. Bring the right carry bag for your needs.
Reminder #5: Another way to solve the “carrying” problem is: bring a friend or partner to Photographica with you. They can help with carrying and also offer “decision support solutions.” For instance: “Do you really want a third piece of that cake?” or “Is that WhoopieFlex better than the one you have now?” or “The dealers may be leaving soon. We can haggle a bit more so they don’t have to carry something back.”
Reminder #6: Photographica is a face-to-face experience, often with strangers. Having a mask handy is a reasonable precaution. Newton does not require masks indoors now, but that could change at any moment. Bring a mask, just in case. This will make everyone feel better.
DOWNLOADABLE PHOTOGRAPHICA 90 PDFs
2023 P90 Newtonville Dining List